Monday, January 30, 2017

Visibility

Every day we see something knew, whether it is with our eyes or with our imagination.  In his article, Visibility, Italo Calvino gives an extensive look at how images play an important role in literature, art, and even religion.  When writing a book, authors often focus on the visual image that is being sent to the reader.  It is very difficult to perfectly construct this image.  In a way, it is about thinking of an image first and then turning that picture into a story.  This makes it very important for the author to choose every word carefully which is difficult and takes time.  Creating a visible image for someone is a talent. 

I have never given it much thought of how difficult it is to write a good story.  Thinking about it now, I remember times when I heard a poorly constructed story or even terrible stories that I have told.  Getting a message across heavily depends on the way it is told.  In the article, it mentions that “imagination as an instrument of knowledge”.  I agree with this because by visualizing something, a person is able to learn or teach something.  As an example, I am a very visual learner.  If I cannot picture the idea in my head, then it is very hard for me to learn it.  I often seek out pictures or examples to help me understand a subject  Being able to imagine an image through words is a talent that many should seek to learn.  

No comments:

Post a Comment